Population: 83.9 million (2020) (17th)
Rank in territory: (17th)
Currency to EUR: 10.000 IRR approx 1.1 EUR
Rank in GDP: 8th (2.07 trillion)
Electric Socket: 220V (50Hz) two prong plug (types C, E and F)
Iran is one of the safest country we have ever visited. We went there for the first time in 2015 and came back end of 2019 again. It is normal to picnic in public parks even when it's dark. We never had any issues with regards to crime in Iran, neither have heard of one from other travellers (see this article about if Iran is safe for tourists for further details based on our experience). Nevertheless, they are very sensitive regarding politics. Therefore, it's not recommended to walk around with your camera in hand, particularly around sensitive areas, such as protests, embassies, consulates and government buildings.
Farsi – You can get by with basic English, mainly in the major cities. But don't have your hopes high up. Also, do not make the massive mistake of taken them for Arabs. It's the equivalent of calling the Scots, Englishmen. You will see Arabic influence on them, on the language, architecture and food, but most of them do not speak Arabic.
Check it out our article about a complete Iran Itinerary.
Islam (99%), Christians (0.6%), Jews (0.3%), Zoroastrians (0.1%)
Regions and cities Tehran
– Alborz; Golestan; Mazandaran; Qasvin; Qom; Semnam; Tehran Isfahan/Shiraz
– Bushehr; Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari; Fars; Hormozgan; Isfahan; Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad Tabriz
– Ardabil; East Azerbaijan; Gilan; Kordestan; West Azerbaijan; Zanjan Kermanshah
– Hamadan; Ilam; Kermanshah; Khuzestan; Lorestan; Markazi Mashhad
– Kerman; North Khorasan; Razavi Khorasan; Sistan and Baluchestan; South Khorasan; Yazd Most populated cities
- Tehran, Mashhad, Isfahan, Karaj, Shiraz Most visited cities
- Tehran, Isfahan, Shiraz, Yazd, Mashhad Top 5 Monday Feelings places
- Tehran, Isfahan, Shiraz, Yazd, Hormuz Island
We can categorise the the visa process into four groups, being: countries that do not need a visa to enter Iran; countries that can either apply beforehand or get on arrival; countries that must apply beforehand to get their visa to Iran; and countries that are not allowed to enter Iran. Note that since the end of 2018, you can also apply for an electronic visa too.
Check it out our article about Iran visa for full details.